Food Manufacturing Continues to Grow in Greater Philadelphia
Greater Philadelphia’s manufacturing sector has evolved over time. Increasingly focused on advanced manufacturing, the sub-sector of food production continues to grow due to the benefits of our region’s location.
Food manufacturing is the 3rd largest sub-sector of the Greater Philadelphia Region’s (GPR) manufacturing industry.
19,230 workers account for 10.1% of total manufacturing employment.
Advantages for food manufacturers in Greater Philadelphia include:
- Port facilities of the Delaware River that receive import of agricultural commodities via ship;
- Supporting infrastructure such as the large amount of refrigerated warehouse space;
- Direct service by the two Class 1 railroads that bring commodities from the farmlands of the Midwest U.S.;
- Highway accessibility via interstate highways and turnpikes;
- Excellent air service, including the 2nd busiest UPS hub in the world located at Philadelphia International Airport (PHL); and
- Greater Philadelphia’s strategic location in the middle of the very large market of the northeast U.S.
Regional Support for the Food and Beverage Industry
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, provides business and technology expertise to food and agribusiness. Rutgers has assisted over 1200 companies since 2000.
St. Joseph’s University Center for Food Marketing is a designated national center for food marketing by the USDA. St. Joe’s houses one of the largest academic food marketing libraries in the world.
Food Manufacturing Companies in Greater Philadelphia
- Amoroso’s Baking Co.
- Campbell Soup Company
- Clement Pappas & Company, Inc.
- Dietz & Watson, Inc.
- Frankford Candy LLC
- Hatfield Quality Meats, Inc.
- Herr Foods Inc.
- JBS Souderton, Inc.
- J & J Snack Foods Corp.
- PEPSI-COLA & National Brand Beverages Ltd (Inc.)
- Tasty Baking Company
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: